Misconceptions, and views on D

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Jan 22 13:24:07 PST 2013

On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 16:16:33 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> D is a general-purpose language, so when people call it "niche" I
> suspect they're simply referring to D's user base currently being much
> smaller than C/C++/Java/Python/etc. The "niche" of D users.

Exactly. Regardless of how good D is, its user base is still relatively small
- especially in industry. I'd fully expect that anyone specifically looking for
a job programming in D would have a very hard time of it. They exist, but
they're not common.

But the user base is growing, so D may yet become a mainstream programming
language like we'd like it to. Plenty of other programming languages have
taken a while to really catch on (e.g. Python).

- Jonathan M Davis