D for scientific computing

Alan geouke at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 19:01:31 PST 2013

My project will be working with the USGS Modflow model (a
finite-difference model for groundwater flow written in fortran).
Thankfully, it works with text input and output. So, the bit of
the program I will be writing (which will talk back and forth to
modflow through text) can be written in whatever language I
choose.

I guess since the source code is available it might make sense to
modify it to take i/o directly as a function called from D (if D
is happy to do that).

I ordered Andrei's book a couple days ago and am oddly excited
about it arriving. I have worked a bit with fortran, C, and C++.
C++ needs to die. C is lacking a couple useful features (rather,
it is more that they are not made as convenient to implement).
Fortran does not have as many intrinsic functions and easy access
to do "cool stuff" :P

I am glad to hear that D has been crunching numbers are a
reasonable rate for you guys. My concern was that I will
potentially be working on projects that might take a week or two
to run on a small computer cluster and I do not want it to take
four weeks to run something that I could run in two had I written
it in Fortran.