[OT] Affect of typing styles on coding style (Was: Make dur a property?)

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 05:37:28 PST 2013

On Thursday, 24 January 2013 at 05:16:32 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> I think that shows how different editors or even just personal
> typing styles can affect our coding style. For me, I'll do
> stuff like:

Aye, I think this applies to my non-caring about identifier name
length too - I use tab completion in my editor.

I've tried some of those auto parens things, and it just confuses
me. I guess I could get used to it (I recently started playing
one of those newer shooter games. I come from Perfect Dark on the
N64, so I'm used to what Halo called "legacy controls". The new
controls were totally unusable to me.... but I was forced to
stick with it for a while and now kinda am ok. I just hope it
hasn't ruined my aptitude at PD controls! Perfect Dark is still
the best shooter ever.).

But still, it isn't that big of a deal, my way works very well
99.9% of the time.

> Probably not surprising that I avoid trying to code on anything
> but a full-size keyboard with a proper section of <arrows, del,
> home, end, pgup, pgdn>, because coding on, say, a laptop
> keyboard (even one with a numpad) is a huge slowdown.

Yeah, I spend some time on a laptop (a little 12" one too) and it
isn't as nice as the real keyboard, but I got one with a decent
key placement and remapped some of the keys to fit the muscle
memory anyway, so it isn't that bad.

The worst thing about my laptop keyboard is the 9 key doesn't
work right and needs extra force. Since that's also (, ugh! But
I'm cheap so whatever.

> Heh, actually, case in point, take a look at my normal work
> setup:

lol, I got one of those ipads as a gift last year. I found it
totally useless except for the angry birds and watching some
video streams, i.e. not work at all.

But, I wanted a computer in my other room last week. My laptop is
never at home, so I looked into buying something.

And my decision was sure to be painful to Steve Jobs: I bought an
off brand usb thingy for the pad, and a full sized (Microsoft
brand LOL) keyboard. Combined with an ssh app for the pad thingy
(death to lowercase i), it became almost useful.

So I was only in for $20 and now have a halfway usable portable
computer. No mouse though. Yes arrow keys (thank god, the morons
at Apple refuse to put them in, which makes this thing utterly
useless for anything other than their small set of sanctioned
activities. OK, that apparently serves millions of people and
turns an enormous profit, but that doesn't matter to /me/!). But,
surprisingly, no to home and end!

Maybe it is just mapped wrong though, I haven't looked into the
details.

Still though, 3/4 of a real keyboard is lightyears beyond the
touch nonsense, and the price for the hack beat the crap out of
buying a real computer.

> Geez, we still don't have that?

We spend too much time arguing over optional parenthesis!