@property - take it behind the woodshed and shoot it?

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 05:57:57 PST 2013

On Thursday, 24 January 2013 at 13:43:34 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Functions not marked @property should NOT change AT ALL from
> what we have now. I am against removing the existing optional
> parenthesis rule, and I am against removing the @property
> decoration.

I'll be rude, but that is needed.

The whole mess we have today is because of this kind of reasoning
(note that I'm only talking about the quoted part, the rest of
your post is very good). The process goes as follow.

1. Let's add this special case here, this allow for user X to
drop few chars in his source file.

2. How, user Y discovered that this interact in a weird way with
feature Z. Let's live with it forever/break code/add this little
tweak to feature Z to make it work.

3. If break code isn't chosen, much latter, user K notice that
bunch of function of phobos don't take into account some corner
cases and go crazy due to the tweak above. Phobos is fixed with
adding a big amount of complexity or stay broken as it would mess
up too much code. All other libs are broken is that case.

4. Current situation.