D for scientific computing

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Thu Jan 24 08:28:16 PST 2013

On 01/24/2013 02:11 PM, John Colvin wrote:
> Walter, I know you like working with the current backend and you understand it
> etc..., but this gives dmd a bus factor of 1 and is slowing down code in the
> process.

Honestly, I don't feel this is too strong an issue.  The point of dmd is to be a
reference compiler -- speed is nice if it's possible, but not the most important
consideration.

The most important thing is that new frontend updates can get merged quickly
into ldc/gdc, so that there is no time lag between new feature development and
their incorporation into other compilers.