Make dur a property?

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Thu Jan 24 09:55:39 PST 2013

On Thursday, 24 January 2013 at 16:30:45 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 1/24/13 4:28 AM, monarch_dodra wrote:
>> We actually have one, which I think I agree with:
>> http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP21
>
> Walter convinced me last night that eliminating @property is
> more sensible.

He hasn't even *tried* to address the arguments which led to the
introduction of @property here, though.

I don't like @property myself, and even less the current broken
implementation, but just saying »meh, we don't need it anyway«
without even reviewing the reasons that led to its introduction
is the worst possible way of handling the situation. And if this
has already been done, why not summarize the rationale for
removing it anyway here?

Otherwise, everybody has to dig through numerous threads in the
archives in order to even *join* the discussion. I'm sure many
people just shouting "+1" here have not considered the behavior
in the various special cases involved.

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing these points addressed
in a DIP on the topic.

David