@property - take it behind the woodshed and shoot it?

mist none at none.none
Thu Jan 24 12:06:02 PST 2013

On Thursday, 24 January 2013 at 20:00:18 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 1/24/13 1:35 PM, mist wrote:
>> You see, contrary to UFCS chaining this is not habit or syntax
>> issue. It
>> is semantic one - I am loosing an ability to distinct data
>> access from
>> function call by simply looking at code.
>
> This is the case with any property implementation.
>
> Andrei

Not really. Good property usage is somewhat similar to unsafe
cast usage - you say to others "Yes, I know what I am doing,
please do not pay attention that this data is in fact function".
The very point of properties is to be used almost
indistinguishable from data and if this usage pattern fails -
property author has lied and this is not really a property.

And because of issues like "+=" it is rather difficult (if
possible) to define good properties in D now.