@property - take it behind the woodshed and shoot it?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Jan 24 12:13:09 PST 2013

On 1/24/13 2:03 PM, Artur Skawina wrote:
> On 01/24/13 19:05, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 1/24/13 9:47 AM, Artur Skawina wrote:
>>> Having ()-less function calls is just insane; if it isn't obvious to you why,
>>> you just haven't read enough code that (ab)uses them.
>>
>> You see, this is the kind of argument that I find very damaging to the conversation. It lacks any shred of material evidence, evokes emotion, manipulates the reader's opinion (framing them into incompetent/inexperienced if they disagree), and implies an appeal to authority. Please don't do that anymore.
>
> You're more than welcome to produce counterevidence, or ignore the arguments,
> for whatever reasons. Ad hominems won't work, not only because I don't take this
> personally, but because I'm probably the person most willing/likely to discuss any
> relevant issues around here (I wish there was more like us (ie me)).

Good quality discussion is always welcome. I have specifically opposed a
specific rhetoric, not a person, so "ad hominem" is inappropriate here.

> Trying to make arguments you don't like go away and silencing the messenger
> is your MO.

Now that's what's called "ad hominem".

> Please don't do that anymore.

I will always protest the rhetoric mentioned, sorry.

> Not because I ask you to, but because it
> does harm the language, and the "community".  Trying to at least understand the
> other point of view and reflecting a bit can be very enlightening. Who knows, you
> might even learn something new.

Sarcasm is always appreciated :o). On a serious note, it's a bit
assuming to conclude that disagreeing with something must be caused by
not understanding it. This is not rocket science. The points involved
are understood. That doesn't entail agreement.

> Having said that, I'll elaborate on the sentence you quoted above. See for example
> Timon's code [1] here: http://dpaste.dzfl.pl/baa538af . Spot the recursion in the
> tree-walker.

How about this: insert the parens and then demonstrate how the bug is
easier to spot. Wasn't any easier for me.

Andrei