Global immutable AA literals

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Jan 24 13:10:48 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 09:15:02PM +0100, mist wrote:
> Sorry, no offense meant from my side :) I have followed your
> attempts on github and do not really feel in shape and competence to
> try to add anything there now. I simply could not understand why
> assignment to enum works and to immutable - not. Then remembered
> they enums are simply replaced with literals again and again every
> time when used and got it.

I didn't take any offense. Just stating that AA's as currently
implemented leaves a lot to be desired, and it's not going to improve
unless *somebody* takes up the challenge to fix it.

> On Thursday, 24 January 2013 at 20:10:21 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >Because the current AA implementation sucks. You're welcome to try to
> >improve it. I've tried before, but it's non-trivial because it's
> >schizophrenically split across two places in druntime and sprinkled
> >all over the compiler. Good luck. Should you succeed, you will have
> >done a MAJOR favor to the entire D community (Andrei, for one, will
> >be eternally grateful).
[...]

Elegant or ugly code as well as fine or rude sentences have something in common: they don't depend on the language. -- Luca De Vitis