D for scientific computing

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Thu Jan 24 16:25:41 PST 2013

On 01/25/2013 01:02 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> but they reflect my typical experience with the different D compilers.

The caveat here is that these results are typical for _number-crunching_ code.
If the dominant factor in your program's speed is e.g. console output, you'll
find the differences between the compilers much less noticeable.  For example: I
have a piece of code that implements a Monte Carlo simulation and prints an
update of its status at each time step -- with -O -release -inline flags, this
runs in about 23s with gdmd, 25 with ldmd2 and 28 with dmd.

If I remove the writef statements, leaving just the number-crunching part, it
runs in about 4s with gdmd, 7s with ldmd2 and 14s (!) with dmd.