@property - take it behind the woodshed and shoot it?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Jan 24 22:21:01 PST 2013

On Friday, January 25, 2013 07:14:29 deadalnix wrote:
> On Friday, 25 January 2013 at 05:51:44 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>
> wrote:
> > Well, better that then get rid of @property. The other big
> > question is what to
> > do with opDispatch, since unless we add the ability to overload
> > on @property
> > with opDispatch, then it can't work with both properties and
> > non-property
> > functions. Maybe opPropDispatch or somesuch could be introduced
> > to solve that
> > particular problem.
>
> Can you explain the problem you see with opDispatch ?

If you make opDispatch @property, then you can't use it with normal functions,
and if you don't make it @property, then it can't be used with property
functions. And you can't overload on @property, so opDispatch is pretty much
screwed with regards to properties at this point. It's certainly fixable, but
there will need to be a (small) change in the language to do so.

- Jonathan M Davis