@property - take it behind the woodshed and shoot it?

eles eles at eles.com
Fri Jan 25 00:49:00 PST 2013

On Friday, 25 January 2013 at 07:14:19 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Friday, January 25, 2013 07:47:27 eles wrote:
>> On Friday, 25 January 2013 at 04:21:07 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> However, even if we're stuck with parenless function calls
> being legal, we can
> still have @property function like it does in C# and require
> that it be used
> without parens.

I think the root reason of this fight over what properties are
and how are used/usable boils down to the way they are deined in
D over C#:

1. in D they are defined as functions (or very similarily to
those), so many people are perceiving them as FUNCTIONS to which
one tries to stick some variable-like calls

2. in C# they are deined as VARIABLES WITH ACCESSORS, so many
people tend to see those as some variables with some extra.

IMHO the chosen syntax for defining properties matters in the
first place.

I do not dear to suggest implementing a more variable-like syntax
(like the one in C#), but at least decide once for all which side
of the barricade we wand D's properties to be.