@property - take it behind the woodshed and shoot it?

Jesse Phillips Jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 08:43:44 PST 2013

On Friday, 25 January 2013 at 00:43:46 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> The problem is that the moment we start talking about @property
> the optional parens people (colloquially referred to henceforth
> as "your side") start jumping in and attacking us about how
> removing optional parens would make your sides lives utter
> misery.

Well, I'd hope @property could give the compiler enough
information to give syntax that matches fields. That hasn't
happened yet so I don't see it worth keeping. And if the
@property syntax has to be changed from a function I'd consider
it a failure too.

That said many that want @property, want optional parens to die,
as shown by your side comment that follows.

> (Personally, i'd beg to differ, I work with C# UFCS every,
> freaking, day. I don't even notice the extra parens any more.
> But most importantly, the syntax is ambiguous to neither the
> compiler or myself, I know at a subconscious level what I am
> looking at.)

I haven't had to deal with reading much other peoples code in D
or Ruby, so I don't have much information on the readability
challenges from one side or the other, but so far my experience
has been that it doesn't matter. And while it is a hot topic, D
has had it for a long time and no real evidence it is a big
problem has risen. (Only the return a delegate from a function)