@property - take it behind the woodshed and shoot it?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 10:12:56 PST 2013

On Friday, 25 January 2013 at 18:00:24 UTC, Rob T wrote:
> So historically, the fist implementation of the property
> concept was through a syntax change, allowing removal of empty
> parens for the getter and assignment syntax for the setter.

That was actually before my time. The optional parens feature has
been in D for as long as I can remember; it was there well before
1.0.

But yeah, @property was added a few years ago over concerns about
a small handful of edge cases.

> Why was a partial implementation of an experimental half-backed
> idea released into the wild?

This is the reason it is on a compiler switch, -property, instead
of the main language. Without -property, the @property decoration
is ignored. (And with -property, it doesn't do anything useful.
The implementation is basically:

-property: break my code
@property: please don't break this code

It doesn't fix a single thing, and IIRC the implementor knew it;
he just put it in as a first step toward something more complete.)