Incorporating D

Jonathan Crapuchettes jcrapuchettes at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 13:08:28 PST 2013

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 21:45:21 +0100, Szymon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would really like to start using D in our small company as a C++
> replacement. With that in mind I do have few questions:
>
> 1) Is D2 really ready for production code? I often hear ppl complaining
> about compiler bugs or regressions causing them to drop D "for now". Is
> it true that D has GC problems?
>
> 2) Is there a way to start adding D code to a C++ projects? For example
> build a dll in D that is loaded by C++ host app? I guess that is not
> possible because of GC not being there?
>
> 3) Is it possible to use D on iOS?
>
> We will for sure switch to D eventually. Question is, when can we start
> the transition so it would not fire back on us.

I can only comment on the first set of questions:

1a) We use D for all of our high-performance production code (large
economic models on a web server) and we are currently moving our big data
processing to a D framework.

1b) Yes, there are some issues especially when it comes to the built-in
AAs, but over all we haven't run into show stopper problems.

Jonathan