Incorporating D

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Jan 25 13:38:51 PST 2013

On Friday, January 25, 2013 22:33:14 q66 wrote:
> > D's GC does not have serious problems. The only issue is
> > controversial status of GC.
>
> D's GC has inherent issues with false positives, sometimes
> freeing memory that you don't really want freed, causing
> (sometimes hidden) bugs that are pretty much impossible to debug.

I've _never_ heard of it freeing something when it shouldn't. The main problem
with false positives is that because it's conservative, on 32-bit systems, it
will sometimes think that a block of memory contains a pointer when it doesn't
(and therefore won't free the memory that it incorrectly thinks is being
pointed to). But 64-bit fixes that. Regardless, a new GC is in the works, so
the situation is going to improve.

- Jonathan M Davis