Incorporating D

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Jan 25 14:53:31 PST 2013

On 1/25/2013 12:45 PM, Szymon wrote:
> I would really like to start using D in our small company as a
> C++ replacement. With that in mind I do have few questions:
>
> 1) Is D2 really ready for production code?

Yes, and it is in use for production code.

> I often hear ppl
> complaining about compiler bugs or regressions causing them to
> drop D "for now".

If you stick to bread and butter code, you shouldn't have problems. If you use
advanced features out to the edge, you're more likely to run into issues.
Furthermore, nothing says you have to upgrade to the latest version if it
doesn't work for you. All released versions are available for download.

> Is it true that D has GC problems?

All GC's have problems. GC isn't a "fire and forget" way to deal with memory
management. However, the GC is reliable and works well if you use it with
awareness of how it works.

> 2) Is there a way to start adding D code to a C++ projects? For
> example build a dll in D that is loaded by C++ host app? I guess
> that is not possible because of GC not being there?

A much easier route is to add C++ code to a D project. I.e. make the D code have
the 'main()'.

> 3) Is it possible to use D on iOS?

Not at the moment.