D for scientific computing

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Sat Jan 26 07:17:09 PST 2013

On 01/26/2013 02:37 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> If you're feeling ambitious, taking a closer look to see why would be most
> interesting.

It's nice if DMD can produce faster code, but in the short term I'd rather see
priority being given to making the frontend/druntime more easily portable to
different backends.

The speed issues of DMD have never bothered me, precisely because GDC and LDC
exist -- and besides speed, there's also the issue of target architectures.  The
problem is rather having to wait for bugfixes and new features to propagate to
the D compilers which already solved the speed and architecture issues.