auto ref - again

Namespace rswhite4 at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 26 11:25:15 PST 2013

On Saturday, 26 January 2013 at 19:08:20 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Saturday, January 26, 2013 17:51:23 Namespace wrote:
>> That's good to know. But can you estimate _when_ it will be
>> implemented or with which version? That would be very
>> informative.
>
> Things generally just don't work that way around here. They get
> done when they
> get done. And often some of the more important stuff takes a
> while, because it
> takes a while to get the design sorted out and implemented
> (especially if
> Walter is the one to implement it). So, much as it might be
> nice to have a
> roadmap saying when something is expected to be done, that
> pretty much never
> happens.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

And why? For special cases like this it could be helpfull and it
is IMO possible.
You have the pull and know what's went wrong with it (it breaks
unittests). So you could say, how long it takes, until it is
ready to merge.

Another proposal, that I've suggested in another thread, would be
to merge some "placeholder" pull which fix the problem until the
official solution is implemented. I thought about this pull:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/1428
It is ready for merging and usage. This pull adds functionality
for non-template auto refs but it doesn't change the (template)
auto ref functionality in general, as Kenjis pull does.