Trust about D programming.

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Sat Jan 26 23:36:49 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 23 January 2013 at 08:54:46 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> Nothing like this here - you have all types, you have complete
>> libm, libc and stdlibc++ with everything you need. There are
>> no compiler extensions other than a typical GCC __attribute__
>> used to declare interrupts, which is not really necessary on
>> most Cortex-M3 chips. These are really powerful chips with
>> 1.25DMIPS/MHz and clocks around 70MHz (ranging from 24MHz to
>> 204MHz)... There's even a dual-core chip - LPC43xx which has
>> Cortex-M4F (with single precision hardware FPU and some SIMD
>> instructions) and a Cortex-M0, both running at 204MHz <:
>>
>> So these are not very much like 8-bit microcontrollers (AVR,
>> PIC, ...)
>>
>> That's why I think D would fit such chips quite nice (; Sans
>> the GC of course... Maybe without exceptions too, but I don't
>> think that would be possible (it's pretty hard in C++)...
>>
>> 4\/3!!
>
> Thanks for the valuable explanation.

The Cortex M4F based STM32F4 is an awesome ucontroller. It has
192kb of RAM, up to 2Mb of Flash, a FPU, I2S, I2C, USART,
ethernet, etc. And it costs a few $ only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STM32#STM32_F4

You can play with one for about 20$ using the ST STM32F4
Discovery board. Python (running on bare metal, no OS) has been
ported to it.
If you really are serious with this ucontroller, you want to
spend a few hundreds dollars and go with the Keil or Atollic
toolchains, which bring IDE, debugger, desassembly, network
analyzer, etc.