@property - take it behind the woodshed and shoot it?

TommiT tommitissari at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 27 05:24:30 PST 2013

On Sunday, 27 January 2013 at 10:54:05 UTC, SomeDude wrote:
> On Friday, 25 January 2013 at 04:21:07 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> wrote:
>>
>> I hate optional parentheses with a passion
>>
>> - Jonathan M Davis
>
> Same here.

If that's the level of abstraction on which you want to discuss
about optional parentheses, then I could say that "I love
optional parentheses", and since "Love conquers all", my argument
would win against your argument.

But, joking aside, I think that all hate against optional
parentheses stems from the increase of ambiguity they
indisputably cause. However, let's imagine a future where your
perfect D IDE paints function calls red, and variables blue.
Then, it will be obvious to you which identifiers are variables
and which are function calls based on their color. In this
situation it will feel silly to have to write those empty
parentheses, because they don't make the code any less ambiguous
(it's already perfectly unambiguous because of the colors) and,
infact, those empty parentheses make the code (a bit) harder to
read.