@property - take it behind the woodshed and shoot it?

Dicebot m.strashun at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 06:11:44 PST 2013

On Sunday, 27 January 2013 at 13:56:53 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> You're being an extremist here. From a vim user and automagic
> function call hater as well ;)
>
> First many reliable code have been written in Java. Quite a lot
> of it in fact. And refusing IDE help make no real sense. Even
> vim is an IDE, and not a simple editor.

Probably, but that is a result of general mainstream moving to
IDE-reliance. You need to sound somewhat radical to be noticed :)
I did not say Java is not _reliable_. I have said it is not
_expressive_ on language level and relies on boilerplate
generation by IDE for something as basic as properties.

I do not use vim as an IDE - no plugins, no clever macros, no
ctags etc. Any editor with file list, syntax highlighting and
tabs works for me; it just happens that it is more convenient to
use vim when you mostly do console stuff anyway.

That may come from the fact of having most commercial experience
in large teams with huge legacy codebases - readability and
support issues take there >90% of time and efforts, contrary to
actually coding. Made me interested in languages that do enforce
such stuff at language level.