@property - take it behind the woodshed and shoot it?

TommiT tommitissari at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 27 07:42:39 PST 2013

On Sunday, 27 January 2013 at 15:22:34 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> And how it is any better? Also D sources are unicode, so last
> two are possible just now and you need no special keyboard for
> it. Still the same good old text.

I don't know if what I invented is any better, but my attempt was
to make something that's easier to read and less ambiguous than
plain text. For example parenthesis would be used only to define
the order in which expressions are evaluated, and _not_ to
indicate a section of arguments.

But are you really arguing that: "there can be nothing better
than plain text for programmers to declare their intent". I
wonder why we even have graphic operating systems, if graphic
elements don't make thing easier to use and understand.

To me, saying that "D is bad language, because in order to most
effectively write and understand the code requires some dedicated
software" is like saying "Avid is a bad editing software, because
using it most effectively requires some custom keyboard". You can
write and understand D code, where parentheses of nullary
function calls have been omitted, in notepad - it just may not be
most optimal environment. Just like you can use Avid with a
regular keyboard, it just may not be most optimal to do so
(unless you remember all the keys by heart already).