Property discussion wrap-up

Rob T alanb at ucora.com
Tue Jan 29 13:31:59 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 29 January 2013 at 18:54:09 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> We'd have to move width and height inside the AreaProp struct
> to make
> this work, but then we're back to square one (you'd need
> @property to
> implement .area inside AreaProp).

Yes that's true, and I know structs as they currently stand will
need some changes to make this work, but more likely we'll have
to introduce a new kind of struct to deal with situations like
this.

Zach the Mystic mentions a situation where we wrap not the data,
but only the functions around a struct-like property object, that
way it contains no data of its own, does not need a "this" or a
constructor or destructor. The idea extends  past just
implementing properties, and into implementing "smart functions"
that can be used in more generalized ways.

--rt