Property discussion wrap-up

Zach the Mystic reachBUTMINUSTHISzach at gOOGLYmail.com
Tue Jan 29 21:30:46 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 30 January 2013 at 05:24:56 UTC, Zach the Mystic
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 January 2013 at 05:20:51 UTC, Zach the Mystic
> wrote:
>> You know, I was too dumb to even understand what you wrote
>> when I read it the first time. I was just naively assuming
>> that nested structs were like nested functions. Some rules
>> definitely need to be figured out here. I don't see why the
>> basic functionality which is provided for nested functions
>> couldn't work also for nested structs. Does "static struct"
>> mean anything here? Couldn't it be used exactly like static
>> nested functions? Would it break code if we now forced people
>> to say "static struct" instead of just struct?
>>
>> I'm sorry for missing your point. I'm trying to suggest
>> advanced language features without even knowing some of the
>> basics. I ask you to bear with me.
>
> Wait, hold on there! This says otherwise:
> http://dlang.org/struct.html
>
> So what's up? Who's wrong!?

Okay, so now I'm really foolish! I think my ORIGINAL response, to
use "outer", would actually make a lot of sense here!
outer.outer.outer... ad infinitum. Not only, but when the struct
has no data of its own, the compiler silently eliminates the
pointer in question.