IOC is inside Clang-head

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Jan 30 01:01:52 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 29 January 2013 at 21:26:11 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/29/2013 1:15 PM, David Nadlinger wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 29 January 2013 at 19:21:34 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>> One real issue is order of evaluation bugs, but I didn't see
>>> a note about that
>>> in the Clang list.
>>
>> Why would you need runtime checking for that?
>
> I didn't say you did!
>

>> Besides the AddressSanatizer and MemorySanatizer features
>> which are obviously
>> real-world oriented (cf. Valgrind), I also find quite a few of
>> the ubsan
>> features to be actually useful in practice - integer overflow
>> detection is only
>> a small part of it.
>
> valgrind is immensely useful for C, but a lot less so for D as
> D guarantees initialization and a GC takes care of much of the
> rest.

Many have jokes about Java being a language that requires an IDE
to be usable.

Usually I joke that C is a language for tool vendors. How many
vendors can take their business to C undefined behaviors and
pointer abuse.

No one on their senses does use C today without an endless list
of tools that validate their code is not going to explode.

--
Paulo