Regarding Issue 9423

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Jan 30 13:08:36 PST 2013

On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 21:51:19 Namespace wrote:
> > What change? My point was that it's _not_ changing. Function
> > parameters can be
> > marked with ref, but the call site doesn't use ref, and it
> > isn't going to
> > start using ref.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> My fault. I thought that the optional call site ref/out whatever
> might be implemented in the future. The C# way makes more sense,
> so I thought many users here would see something like this also.
> Even if it would be optional.

No, it's been argued before, and IMHO optional ref does more harm than having
none. The real benefit is when it's required, but even if it were generally
agreed that that were better, it wouldn't get changed at this point, since it
would break too much code. I suspect that it would cause problems with generic
code though, regardless.

- Jonathan M Davis