Implementing Half Floats in D

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 15:27:32 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 29 January 2013 at 22:17:30 UTC, Dejan Lekic wrote:
> Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> Oh, please no, not another module at the "std" level.
>
> +11111111
> I can't agree more to this, Jacob...
> Seriously people... "std.halffloat" ???

  I'll agree too. HalfFloats are more a special case with certain
circles of programmers that need those. The majority of
programmers (95%+) won't care about half floats, nor would it be
needed; It would be akin to making std.bitop instad of core.bitop.

  You could HalfFloats to std.math; Right next to cos, sin and
tan. std.mathspecial doesn't seem like it would be closely enough
tied to make it an option.

  Alternatively make a std.customtypes for related misc types like
this as they are added to phobos.