Implementing Half Floats in D

Jens Mueller jens.k.mueller at gmx.de
Thu Jan 31 02:45:26 PST 2013

Don wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 January 2013 at 12:51:18 UTC, Simen Kjaeraas wrote:
> >On 2013-01-30, 09:26, Don wrote:
> >
> >>The discussion we had on github agreed that std.halffloat isn't
> >>a good place.
> >>But OTOH std.numeric needs a complete overhaul, it's a mess.
> >>It would be a mistake to throw it in there.
> >
> >So put it somewhere else for the moment, and move it to
> >std.numeric after
> >a while? Boy, does that ever sound stupid.
>
> Yes, of course that would be stupid. It will never be in
> std.numeric.
>
> >I say stuff it in std.numeric, and announce properly that someone
> >should
> >probably have look at fixing std.numeric, and that HalfFloat in
> >there may
> >be the only thing salvageable (not that I know if it is, but
> >that's how
> >you make it sound).
>
> std.numeric is not superficially flawed, it's fundamentally flawed.
> What is it for? What is its theme? The problem is, std.numeric is
> one of the few good names which are left as a possible package name,
> after C insulted the mathematical community by creating a module
> called 'math'.

Dimitry said this once. Why not start from scratch with package called
std.numerics?
// for numeric types
std.numerics.halffloat
std.numerics.complex
std.numerics.quaternion
// algorithms working with numeric types
std.numerics.algorithms // even std.math could make sense

or something similar.
Wouldn't this work?

Jens