Implementing Half Floats in D

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Jan 31 11:02:10 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 07:53:58PM +0100, Zach the Mystic wrote:
> On Thursday, 31 January 2013 at 15:38:04 UTC, Don wrote:
> >I'm not sure that we can solve this without addressing the
> >high-level question: What is the scope of Phobos?
> >
> >How big will it eventually get? Twice its current size? Ten times?
> >A hundred times?
>
> Purely by chance I read an article on the blog of Jarrett
> Billingsley about this topic:
>
> http://www.jfbillingsley.com/blog/?p=206

Interesting. I think Phobos can be easily divided into two parts, with
core stuff like std.algorithm, std.range, std.stdio, etc., in one, and
less common but still widely applicable stuff like numeric algorithms in
a "2nd party" library (or libraries).

Even if we don't actually split Phobos up in that way, this may help us
reorganize Phobos in a better way. The current flat std hierarchy is
slowly approaching the point where it's starting to tear at the seams.
We should consider starting a 3rd level of hierarchy sooner rather than
later.

Help a man when he is in trouble and he will remember you when he is in trouble again.