New std.uni: ready for more beating

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 11:27:57 PST 2013

30-Jan-2013 01:52, Dmitry Olshansky пишет:
> Recap:
> During a couple of rounds of the informal review new std.uni had its
> docs happily destroyed, and later re-written based on the feedback.

[snip]

> - Squeezed extra 31Kb slack from object-file size (32 bits, more on 64).
> Now all of the packed tables occupy around 350Kb (32bits) and
> If you happen to know some tricks to reduce object file size (and in
> turn the executable size), please chime in.

My post got lost in the ether apparently. And it even wasn't complete -
and on 64bits it's 464Kb of tables alone. Needless to say I'm worried
about these sizes getting too large given that D is pretty much
statically linked ATM.

> Code & benchmark: https://github.com/blackwhale/gsoc-bench-2012
>
> Docs: http://blackwhale.github.com/phobos/uni.html
> (looks far better without the JS jump-table)
>
> It's a standalone module at the moment. To use in place of current
> std.uni replace 'std.uni'->'uni' in your programs and compare the
> results. Make sure that both uni and unicode_tables modules are linked
> in, rdmd can take care of this dependency.

Let me make it more explicit.

I'm looking for a review manager and anybody willing to revive the
review process instead of venting steam on proper property (pun
intended) design and seeking a value in requiring parens on no-arg call
(or proving otherwise).

--
Dmitry Olshansky