Feature request: Path append operators for strings

TommiT tommitissari at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 2 13:47:50 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 2 July 2013 at 20:31:14 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2 July 2013 at 19:46:34 UTC, TommiT wrote:
>> How would you feel about adding the '/' binary operator and
>> the '/=' assignment operator for strings, wstrings and
>> dstrings? The operators would behave the same way as they do
>> with boost::filesystem::path objects:
>
> There is a *massive* difference here. boost::filesystem adds the
> overload for *path* objects. It doesn't add a global operator
> for any indiscriminate string.

As far as I can tell, Phobos already uses strings or
const(char)[] to represent paths all over the place. So, I
figured, we can't add a separate Path type at this point because
that train has passed. Although, I don't know if that design
would have been a better anyway. Division operator for strings
doesn't make any sense, and I doubt there will ever be some other
meaning for '/' that would make more sense than "a directory
separator" for strings in the context of programming.