D2 & Web-Framework

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Jul 3 10:45:41 PDT 2013

Am 03.07.2013 12:03, schrieb Russel Winder:
> On Wed, 2013-07-03 at 11:39 +0200, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> […]
>> On the other hand threading is everywhere.
>
> Threads (and processes) are like stacks and heaps, you know they are
> there but if you are manipulating them explicitly instead of as a
> managed resource, you need to have a very, very good reason why.

True, but functional programming is only now becoming mainstream.

I remember reading a book around 1997 about doing HPC in multicore
machines with NUMA in a Lisp like language.

The language runtime was the OS and it took care of exploring the
multicore environment, while the researchers could express higher
level algorithms.

Eventually we will get there.

--
Paulo