Rust switches to external iteration

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Jul 4 03:09:27 PDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-07-04 at 11:35 +0200, Paulo Pinto wrote:
[…]
> Every time I see the usual shell and vi/emacs combo it brings me
> back memories of when my home computer was a Timex 2068.
>
> Or as someone puts it,
>
> http://andrewbrookins.com/tech/one-year-later-an-epic-review-of-pycharm-2-7-from-a-vim-users-perspective/

I think the USP for IDEs is when you have to debug, otherwise it is just
a matter of personal taste.  I tend to use Emacs because it can reformat
just comment blocks in a file, none of the IDE editors can do this, and
for me this is an important thing.

> > And neither of these groups worry about test coverage that much.
>
> To be honest in the fortune 500 companies very few do. We always
> try to push for it in our consulting projects, but not all
> customers
> buy into it, specially if the project requires interaction with
> the
> in-house developers.

Perhaps stock prices should be linked to code coverage statistics for
that company. It is about as good a measure as the gamblers, sorry
traders, use – which seems to rely most on whether the CEO sneezed at
the time the traders specified they should.

> I think Microsoft plays a big role here. By sponsoring OCaml,
> Haskel and F# development, as well as, introducing FP to the
> enterprise via LINQ.

Agreed, and I hate to give Microsoft credit for anything positive, but
here they definitely have. Sad they dropped IronPython and IronRuby
though.

> The main issue is that this is very human related.
>
> Sometimes you really need a few generations to make people adopt
> new ideas.

Not if ideas are reified in the programming language. Java brought
shared memory multi-threading front and centre (or should that be
center?) and it remains the biggest barrier to quality software we have.
Programmers see the feature and use it despite the fact that it had been
known for 20 years prior to 1995 that it was the wrong way forward for
applications development. Actors, dataflow, CSP, data parallelism,
masses of great high level models for concurrency and parallelism all
ignore. And now C++11 nearly did almost the same thing. At least thanks
to the UK vote C++ includes asynchronous function call and futures. All
the rest of C++ threads stuff, like Java, is already 40 years behind
well tried and trusted approaches.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk