Poll: how long have you been into D

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Jul 6 08:13:49 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 11:48:40PM -0700, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Saturday, July 06, 2013 08:36:31 Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> > Typing replies on a smartphone seems to carry a bit of a cost in
> > textual accuracy :-(
>
> Typing on smartphones is hell. I generally try and avoid it unless I
> absolutely have to.
[...]

Y'know, I've always found correct-as-you-type features extremely
annoying. I encountered it first in MS Word, and it annoyed me so much I
crawled back into my Vim cave. :-P  When I upgraded to a smartphone, I
decided to give it an honest try ... but after about half a year or so,
I'm starting to regret it. I mean, it's nice that once in a while you
can just type approximately and it will correctly guess what you
intended. But other times, it makes the wrong guesses and completely
mangles your text -- but you're so accustomed to it that you don't
notice the mistake until it's too late! And yet other times, it will add
random nonsense words to your custom dictionary just because you hit the
wrong sequence of keys by accident. (Mistype a word, hit space, get the
wrong guess, hit backspace, get the mistyped word back, erase a few
characters, then accidentally hit space instead of, say, B, and now the
*partial* mistyped word is in your dictionary. Wonderful.)

I'm feeling quite tempted to turn off the feature, right now.

The diminished 7th chord is the most flexible and fear-instilling chord.
Use it often, use it unsparingly, to subdue your listeners into
submission!