Poll: how long have you been into D

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Jul 6 14:08:20 PDT 2013

On Sat, Jul 06, 2013 at 04:26:36PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
[...]
> Any kind of "smart" feature usually ends up being a big 'ol bag of
> badly-tuned heuristics (or just simply a stupid, presumptuous idea -
> like the stereo on the 2011(-ish?) Hyundai Elantra *always* turning on
> *twice* every time you start the car, whether you want it on or not).
>
> Or as I like to describe "smart" features: It's like some jackass
> deliberately messing around with everything you're trying to do via a
> secondary keyboard+mouse. Only you can't reach over and smack him ;)

I remember the old joke that every time you hear the word "smart" from
Microsoft, be on the lookout for something dumb.

I resisted "upgrading" to a "smart"phone for many years (people used to
laugh at me for carrying around such a prehistoric antique -- to a point
I took pride in showing it off to the kids), until the battery life
started to wear out and require charging once a day. Finally I succumbed
to my phone company who kept bugging me about upgrading (and of course,
I chose an Android instead of an iPhone). Well, it's nice to upgrade, I
suppose, but I found that I *still* have to recharge once a day 'cos of
the battery drain from all those advanced "features" that were never
there in the old phone. Sigh...

At least Android actually has a task manager that lets you kill off
misbehaving apps and things that shouldn't be running that are taking up
50MB of RAM for no good reason. On my old iPod, I'd have to hard-reset
every few days 'cos some misbehaving app would soak up 100% RAM and 100%
CPU and the thing would brick. *And* I can actually write my own apps
for Android without needing to buy a Mac just to install the dev tools.

The only thing missing now is a working D dev environment for Android.
Once I have *that*, then perhaps the "smart" in "smartphone" will be
forgiveable, for once. :-P

We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters
will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare.  Now, thanks
to the Internet, we know this is not true. -- Robert Wilensk