Poll: how long have you been into D

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Sun Jul 7 10:47:52 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 7 July 2013 at 17:37:37 UTC, 1100110 wrote:
> On 07/06/2013 02:20 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Anyway, typing on a mobile device was more or less a solved
>> problem
>> until that sack of shit Steve Jobs moronically convinced
>> everyone that
>> physical buttons and styluses were bad things (Remember, that
>> was the
>> same dumbass who was convinced that Ctrl-Click was "simpler"
>> for
>> average users than Right-Click, and that "Hold Up For 5
>> Seconds" was a
>> more sensible way to turn a device off than a power button or
>> switch).
>> And so *now* PDAs (erm, I mean "smartphones") are horrible to
>> type on.
>>

> Please, I still have a physical keyboard on my new smartphone.
>
> Put your money where your mouth is.
Yep, it's out there, well-reviewed too, though you _will_ have to
put some money on it:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-BlackBerry-Q10-Smartphone.95264.0.html

Personally, I got my first real smartphone a couple months back
and I don't see why anyone would want to type on these things in
the first place.  I do a little bit to load some webpages or dial
a new phone number occasionally, but that's about it.

I don't understand why one of these mobile apps doesn't do voice
messages instead, who the hell wants to type their messages out?
It's a step backwards from voice mail, even considering the
shitty voicemail boxes that most telcos provide.

Anyway, everybody uses apps like Whatsapp these days, so you
could just record voice messages on the app.  Maybe you can't
speak your message out loud occasionally, privacy or sensitive
information, so you could add text messages as a fallback, but I
don't understand the current fascination with low-bandwidth
typing when we have higher-bandwidth voice on all these phones.