Feature request: Path append operators for strings

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Jul 7 14:58:52 PDT 2013

On 7/7/2013 2:05 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Sunday, 7 July 2013 at 10:07:51 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Ask Watson what its favorite color is.
>
> Ask /me/ what my favorite color is. I always hate questions like that because,
> and this might sound silly, but it bothers me because if I pick one, I think the
> others will feel left out, and I feel bad about that. Maybe this is an effect of
> me being picked last in gym for all those years in school. I'm not even that bad
> at sports!
>
> Anyway, the worst was when a friend would take me with her to the mall to shop,
> something she did a lot. Which shoes do I like better? idk, I might find one
> style weird, but who am /I/ to judge something for being weird?
>

> I don't think I'd want a computer that is too much like us!

Exactly. Can you see Watson generating a response like yours? I don't, either.

The top hit on google for that question is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWS8Mg-JWSg

The people typing that into google are probably looking for that clip, they are
not asking google what google's favorite color is. Google, of course, is
programmed to be a search engine, not process natural language for anything
other than search.

If I was asked that question, the context would matter. If it was at a barbeque
with the beer flowing, I'd answer "blue, no ye- .. aaaaahhhhhhggggg!" If an
architect working for me asked, I'd give a serious answer, and of course even
that answer would depend on the context - I'd pick different colors for the
kitchen walls than the bedroom floor.

Good luck with Watson or Siri on such.