Feature request: Path append operators for strings

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun Jul 7 17:03:04 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jul 07, 2013 at 04:03:39PM -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 7/7/13 2:44 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> >>This started with you claiming that Siri is just Eliza with more
> >>memory. That's
> >>inaccurate to say the least.
> >
> >I argue it is dead on. I don't see a fundamental difference.
>
> Consider someone at a 1970s level of compiler technology coming to
> you and telling you in all seriousness: "Yeah, I tried your D
> language. A few more keywords and tricks. Compiler supports lines
> over 80 columns. Other than that, it has nothing over Fortran77."
> Knowing the wealth of research and development in programming
> languages since then, you'd know that that's just an ignorant
> statement and would not even take the time to get offended.
>
> Similarly, it would be an ignorant thing to say that Siri is just a
> larger Eliza. There is a world of difference between Eliza's and
> Siri's approaches. In fact the difference is even larger than
> between 1970s compilers and today's ones. For a simple example, in
> the 1990s NLP has definitely departed from rule-based models to
> statistical models. I don't know of a similarly large change in
> programming language technology.
[...]

I look forward to the day programs will be written by statistical
models. Random failure FTW! :-P

Oh wait, it's already been done:

	http://p-nand-q.com/humor/programming_languages/java2k.html

:-P

Doubtless it is a good thing to have an open mind, but a truly open mind
should be open at both ends, like the food-pipe, with the capacity for
excretion as well as absorption. -- Northrop Frye