A thread without GC

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 07:04:39 PDT 2013

I would post this in d.learn, but I suspect there isn't an easy
answer so it would be good to have some serious discussion here.

Is there any way to create a thread that is totally free from the
garbage collector?

I.e.
Nothing in that thread will ever be scanned by the GC.
Therefore, when the GC "stops the world", that thread can just
keep on going.

Obviously one could create a separate process, but it would be
nice to have it encapsulated within a single process for optimum
speed of communication and not having to mess around with pipes.

P.S. Yes I realise how careful one would have to be when using
this.