Feature request: Path append operators for strings

Tommi tommitissari at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 8 23:07:11 PDT 2013

On Monday, 8 July 2013 at 21:46:24 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> I'm sure you're self-aware, as I'm sure Siri and Watson are not.

But there is no way for you to prove to me that you are
self-aware. It could be that you are simply programmed to appear
to be self-aware; think of an infinite loop containing a massive
switch statement, where each case represents a different
situation in life and the function to execute in each case
represents what you did in that situation in life. As long as we
can't test whether and entity is self-aware or not, for our
purposes, it kind of doesn't matter whether it is or not.

If we ever are able to define what consciousness is (and I'm
quite sure we will), I suspect it's going to be some kind of a
continuous feedback loop from sensory data to brain, and from
brain to muscles and through them back to sensory data again.
Consciousness would be kind of your ability to predict what kind
of sensory data would be likely to be produced if you sent a
certain set of signals to your muscles.

I like this guy's take on consciousness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jBUtKYRxnA