[OT] Why mobile web apps are slow

Brian Rogoff brogoff at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 13:39:27 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 9 July 2013 at 20:02:33 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9 July 2013 at 18:12:24 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> A bit off-topic, but well worth reading,
>>
>> http://sealedabstract.com/rants/why-mobile-web-apps-are-slow/
>
> An interesting article, a strong critique of many kinds of
> garbage collection. Having good enough built-in means to avoid
> relying on a GC seems quite important to use D where memory is
> limited.

It's not just in the limited memory case of mobile devices that
GC is a problem. There are a few domains that come to mind where
the ability to escape GC and rely on manual memory management is
extremely important. While there was some reference made to an
approach to allocators in the closing talk of DConf, I haven't
seen much discussion of an approach using D's features.

-- Brian

PS: That silhouette of the SR-71 at the point allocators are
mentioned sets a high bar for the design!