Current version of D.

Rob T alanb at ucora.com
Tue Jul 9 15:34:15 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 7 July 2013 at 07:36:41 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-07-06 at 15:24 +0200, mike james wrote:
>> > The current release is 2.063.2, but it's the first time that
>> > we've actually
>> > released point releases like that, so there are likely to be
>> > places saying
>> > 2.063 instead of 2.063.2.
>>
>> Maybe it's time to make the odd-numbered releases the work in
>> progress releases and the even-numbered releases the official
>> releases?
>
> Everyone, cf. Linux, who used to operate such a strategy has now
> stopped. A release is a release and should be releasable.
> Finding
> problems in a release is natural which is why the maj.min.bug
> release
> numbering is so popular. The issue here is that the releases
> should be
> numbered this way always so as to make a monotonic increasing
> sequence.
>
> Thus 2.063 should have been numbered 2.63.0.

Agreed, however we should also have a pre-release package for
testing that is clearly marked as a pre-release, it can go on a
separate web page to avoid any possibility of confusion.

The current release is showing as both 2.63.0 and 2.63 but I
thought it was supposed to be 2.63.2 everywhere. This is very
confusing.

--rt