Memory management design

JS js.mdnq at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 04:33:13 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 10 July 2013 at 10:49:04 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Wednesday, 10 July 2013 at 10:40:10 UTC, JS wrote:
>
> @nogc itself does not help here as this code will still be
> affected by stop-the-world. Those issues are related, but not
> directly.
>
> It will help to avoid memory leaks when you switch the GC off
> though.

Of Course, I never said stop the world only affected certain
parts of the program. ? Having a nogc allows one to use only
those functions and disable the gc and not worry about running
out of memory.

e.g., import @nogc std.string; only imports nogc functions. Can
disable the gc, use reference counting and write a RT app. (it
would be better to specify the module as @nogc then all imports
can only import @nogc functions)