Compile time executable calling?

Tofu Ninja emmons0 at purdue.edu
Fri Jul 12 13:42:49 PDT 2013

So I had an idea recently, wouldn't it be cool to have the
ability to call an executable at compile time and capture its
output. Something like the string imports but instead of opening
and reading a text file, it run an executable, waits for it to
finish, and grabs its output.

It would get really cool if you could pass this executable some
args and then mix in its out put into your own code. It could be
used similarly to how CTFE are used but with out the overhead of
trying to compile that function and what not and with out the
limitations on what it can do.

I could imagine all sorts of things that would be possible with
this that is currently not.

Not sure if this is something that could be implemented easily,
but seems like something that could be done and something that
would be really cool.