Compile time executable calling?

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 15:36:21 PDT 2013

On Friday, 12 July 2013 at 20:42:50 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
> So I had an idea recently, wouldn't it be cool to have the
> ability to call an executable at compile time and capture its
> output.

How long until D compilers are able to read mail? :-)

There's many obvious applications of this proposed feature, but I
say such things should be delegated to the build process. Just
run those executables using a makefile, or whatever build system
you use.

If you need compile time inputs from your D code then just run a
separate build to extract them. Yes it's more work and less
convenient, but I think we need to be careful with how much is
added to the D compilers. We don't want to turn them into
operating systems.