[OT] Why mobile web apps are slow

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Jul 14 03:05:38 PDT 2013

Am 14.07.2013 09:56, schrieb SomeDude:
> On Wednesday, 10 July 2013 at 17:25:31 UTC, Sean Kelly wrote:
>> On Jul 9, 2013, at 11:12 AM, Paulo Pinto <pjmlp at progtools.org> wrote:
>>
>>> A bit off-topic, but well worth reading,
>>>
>>> http://sealedabstract.com/rants/why-mobile-web-apps-are-slow/
>>
>> Oh, regarding ObjC (and I'll qualify this by saying that I'm not an
>> ObjC programmer).  My understanding is that ObjC was originally
>> reference counted (ARC = Automatic Reference Counting).  Apple then
>> introduced a mark & sweep GC for ObjC and then in the following
>> release deprecated it and switched back to ARC for reasons I don't
>> recall.  However, reference counting *is* garbage collection, despite
>> what that slide suggests.  It just behaves in a manner that tends to
>> spread the load out more evenly across the application lifetime.
>
> C++ has gone te ARC route as well with shared_ptr. I find the
> scoped_ptr/shared_ptr combination quite convenient and quite safe overall.

The main problem is that C++ compilers are not shared_ptr aware.

So while systems like Objective-C ARC and ParaSail do minimize
increment/decrement operations, by removed superfluous pairs of
operations, in C++'s case you get some performance lost because of those
operations everywhere when pointers ownership changes.

--
Paulo