working on the dlang.org website

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Jul 14 23:35:41 PDT 2013

On 2013-07-15 05:22, Walter Bright wrote:

> HTML doesn't work for other kinds of output that is supported by the
> makefiles - ebook, pdf, etc.

I thought the PDF was generated from the HTML output.

> I wrote the original Digital Mars web site in plain html. That's what
> motivated me to invent Ddoc. I'm at least twice as productive in Ddoc,
> maybe even 4 times.

Come on. That's like say "I'm more productive using C than writing in
machine code directly". Try comparing with PHP, Python, Ruby on Rails, D
or any other language. Plain HTML just sucks.

> For example, if I want to change the copyright
> notice, I can:
>
> 1. edit hundreds of files
>
>     -- or --
>
> 2. edit a Ddoc macro

You can do that with any other language or template system that support
templates or similar.

> Ddoc isn't any harder than any of the innumerable markup languages out
> there, like mediawiki.

I was more thinking of a proper language, as mentioned above.

--
/Jacob Carlborg