Compile time executable calling?

Don prosthetictelevisions at teletubby.medical.com
Mon Jul 15 06:26:12 PDT 2013

On Friday, 12 July 2013 at 20:42:50 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
> So I had an idea recently, wouldn't it be cool to have the
> ability to call an executable at compile time and capture its
> output. Something like the string imports but instead of
> opening and reading a text file, it run an executable, waits
> for it to finish, and grabs its output.
>
> It would get really cool if you could pass this executable some
> args and then mix in its out put into your own code. It could
> be used similarly to how CTFE are used but with out the
> overhead of trying to compile that function and what not and
> with out the limitations on what it can do.
>
> I could imagine all sorts of things that would be possible with
> this that is currently not.
>
> Not sure if this is something that could be implemented easily,
> but seems like something that could be done and something that
> would be really cool.

I personally think it's a *horrible* idea. It's one of those
things which looks good in small cases but doesn't scale.

Don't underestimate the fact that the compiler is a deterministic
program at present. When compiled with the same flags, on the
same set of source files, the results should always be the same.
It's a classic filter program.

input -> compiler -> output

Losing that purity is a HUGE thing to give up.