working on the dlang.org website

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Jul 15 07:40:40 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 02:33:53PM +0200, Flamaros wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 July 2013 at 04:56:46 UTC, Val Markovic wrote:
>
> >There's some low-hanging fruit with the site that shouldn't be too
> >hard to fix: there's an incredibly annoying "content flash" after any
> >page is loaded (it loads fine, you see the text, then the text
> >disappears for a second, then appears again).
>
> The flash content bother me, because it breaks my scroll.

I turn off JS for dlang.org, and it's much more navigable. Seriously,
whatever it is that's causing that, needs to be removed. AFAICT, it's
just to generate the useless blob of links at the top of the page. We
need a *real* index, not a blob of links.

> I think this web site is too much oriented on documentation. The
> home page must display news about D language, it will be great to
> have videos of DConf on it directly.

I agree that news should be posted on the front page. I disagree that
it's too documentation-oriented, though. It *should* be documentation
oriented. Too many websites these days pay too much attention to frills
without delivering real content. I don't want the D website to turn into
that.

> The documentation need to be a specific section that allow us to
> browse all versions (documentation is related to a specific version
> of the compiler).

+1, docs for past releases should be available somewhere. (And by that I
mean somewhere navigable on a browser, not a .zip file download.)

Жил-был король когда-то, при нём блоха жила.